New Orleans, LA 70123
FTS is seeking an Engineering Manager for the New Orleans area. The Engineering Manager directs and coordinates activities of the engineering department to design and test components, products, and
systems by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervision.
- Manages and supervises a team of 19 Engineers.
- Directs department activities to design new products, modify existing designs, and improve production techniques.
- Resolves problems using solutions that involve new techniques, technologies, or concepts.
- Analyzes technology trends, human resource needs, and market demand to plan projects.
- Confers with management, production, and marketing staff to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, and customer demand for new and existing products.
- Forecasts operating costs of department and prepares yearly budget requests.
- Advises management of new developments which may affect profit, schedule, costs, customer relations, and/or inter-departmental relations.
- Provides direction and example for interpretation and application of company policies and procedures to the engineering activities.
- Must practice judgement considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Maintains a working knowledge of new technologies which may improve operations and develops recommendations accordingly.
- Maintains a working knowledge of safety policies and regulations to ensure activities are performed in a safe manner.
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principals involved in production of technical plans, drawings, and models.
- Develops engineering labor hour schedules, budgets and forecasts.
- Defines, develops, and maintains engineering standards.
- Implement procedures and practices that increase the efficiency of the Engineering Department
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Power distribution, knowledge of mil-spec requirements as they apply to our product line.
- Lead people to perform FEA and other computer analysis of our product line.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to obtain a Government Security Clearance.
- Bachelor' s degree (B.S.) from a four-year college or university with an EE major (preferred) or an ME with knowledge of our product line.
- 5 to 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possess strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Proven ability to motivate team to achieve organization goals.
- Possess knowledge, know-how, and vision throughout all phases of a program. (The ability to see details throughout all project phases into the future.)
- Proven ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Exhibit Solution-oriented focus with the ability to address roadblocks to the customer s satisfaction.
- Demonstrate in depth knowledge of typical engineering processes.
- Possess strong verbal, written, and graphic communication skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel to customers and company locations.