Nashville, TN 37219
The Legal Assistant will perform a variety of routine clerical and administrative duties related to the general practice of law by assisting attorneys in a supportive role.
- Prepares, processes, and proofreads legal documents. This generally involves the use of computers and appropriate software.
- Mails, faxes, copies, and/or arranges for delivery of documents to clients, witnesses, opposing counsel and court officials.
- Maintains filing systems, control records and indexes using moderate independent judgment.
- Coordinates and participates in document production.
- Prepares closing documents.
- Obtains information using the Westlaw and Lexis systems.
- Communicates with clients, court personnel, experts, attorneys and others via telephone, email, in person, and in writing, obtaining and giving information as directed.
- Assists with trial preparation including preparation of trial books, exhibits, etc.
- May transcribe dictation from dictating machine, as required by the supervising attorney(s).
- Maintains supervisor(s) calendar electronically and/or manually by scheduling appointments and critical dates and keeping supervisor posted of same.
- Opens and closes files, and maintains client and business files by filing and retrieving materials as required.
- Screens phone calls; records and delivers messages and provide callers with information as authorized by attorney.
- Makes travel arrangements through the Firm s designated Travel Agency.
- Prepares and edits client invoices for billing purposes.
- Enters and maintains attorneys time sheets, as required.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- High School graduate.
- 5+ years of legal secretarial experience in a related area of law.
- Ability to type 65 wpm excellent spelling, punctuation and grammar required and knowledge of legal terminology. May be required to know real estate closing procedures and terminology.
- Competent in the use of computers and Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Power Point and Microsoft Outlook.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent people skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- College degree
- Paralegal skills
- Previous Real Estate Law firm experience
This position requires sitting for long periods of time while operating a computer. At times, employees are required to work in excess of the normal work schedule, particularly during trial preparation. Employees in this position must be mobile, have the ability to type with both hands, bend, and have ability to lift and carry files weighing approximately 10-15 lbs.
WORK HOURS AND LOCATION:
M-F 8: 30-5: 30 (Some flexible hours available)
Located in downtown Nashville - Parking Provided