Test Technician - Power Distribution
New Orleans, LA 70123
FTS is seeking a Test Technician with a minimum of 3 years of experience in quality testing of automation and power distribution systems. In addition to having the required technical skills as noted below, qualified candidates will be customer-service oriented and have a desire to develop into leadership and training role. Candidates must possess both general and technical reading, writing, verbal, math and analytical skills conducive to a technical/engineering environment.
Summary: Participates in day-to-day test, troubleshooting, repair activities of electrical, electronic, mechanical and electromechanical equipment. Applies basic/advanced knowledge and skills in performing and executing engineering test procedures to satisfaction of all stakeholders involved.
Basic / primary responsibilities
- Become familiar with test and process requirements of major programs within power, propulsion and controls department.
- Execute testing procedures for major programs, as designed/written by Engineering department.
- Communicate and collaborate with company technical community to ensure the quality of deliverables.
- Communicate and collaborate with Field Service/Test team to share/coordinate testing resources.
- Collect test, measurement and process data used in monitoring, qualifying and verifying product conformance.
- Promote a safe, professional and cooperative work environment.
- The candidate can expect to assist in the QA/QC dept as needed, depending on demand.
- Whereas a degree from a reputable educational institution is desirable, three or more years related experience and/or training or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience in electrical distribution, monitoring and controls systems, preferably from military, industrial or marine background.
- Previous exposure to and/or knowledge of OSHA and ABS standards a plus.
Qualifications/ Specific Skills:
- Familiarity with basic and specialized test and measuring equipment (mechanical and electrical) is expected.
- Familiarity with basic and specialized hand tools and shop practices is also expected.
- Familiarity with basic electrical/electronic theory is essential.
- Familiarity with technical drawings (assembly and schematic) is essential. Basic familiarity with mechanical assembly is helpful.
- Basic familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite is essential.
- Ability to utilize Internet and Intranet applications, as well as, exposure to AutoCAD LT and/or other technical s/w applications is desirable.
- Candidate must possess both general and technical reading, writing, verbal, math and analytical skills conducive to a technical/engineering environment.
- Basic PLC programming experience and Field Service skills are also desirable.
Work Environment/ Physical Demands:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places and outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and risk of electrical shock.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.